Tuesday, January 25, 2011

January 25, 2011

hello blogger's,

This past fall, I was invited to my daughter school for a meet the teacher night.  all the parents where invited into the cafeteria fist to have ice cream with the children. we where then invited into the theatre for a welcome to our school speech from the Principal.  He asked all of us to take a few minutes and watch a video that the department of education had created.  YouTube was loaded up onto the big screen and we all watched "NB3 21c shift video". After watching this video it has changed my perception of the public schools and what they have in mind for my children. I really love the ideas and direction that they are aiming in, I really do think it time to put away the text books and pages of notes.  congratulations to them!!
check out the video on you tube you wont regret it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDM3D4MNQBs

1 comment:

  1. Jolene...

    Congrats on joining the blogosphere!

    You are right, the NB3-21C video is indeed stimulating. Unfortunately, our education system continues to sway with the political winds while pushing against the realities of the traditional story of school. Don't get me wrong, I continue to push for REAL change in our schools but a video does not change make.

    For the most part my experiences in promoting change from within the system tell me that the industrial narrative of school (students in rows, textbooks the limit of information, etc) is alive and well. I do, however, see small, incremental shifts in the story and am excited that you - as a parent - see value in a new technology-rich learning environment for your children. Keep pushing for this change!

    Look forward to reading more about your ideas as we go along!

    Jeff

    ReplyDelete